SDGs – General
- “Indicator Wizard” (SDGFunders) – you or your organization can use this tool to deteremine which SDGs most closely align with your work. Paste a description of your work (e.g., an organization’s mission statement) into the text box, and the wizard will list which SDGs most closely align with the stated text.
- “Operationalizing Leaving No One Behind“- An operational guide set by The United Nations to advance the SDGs promise of “leaving no one behind”.
- Beyond the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Addressing Sustainability and Development – Coursera course, University of Michigan. FREE
- The SDG Fund hosts an online library that compiles publications related to the Sustainable Development Goals
LIS Associations and SDGs
- American Library Association (ALA)
- The ALA Task Force on United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goals has created downloadable materials for libraries to promote and advance the SDGs.
- IRRT International Sustainable Library Development Interest Group – The ISLD serves as a clearinghouse of sustainable community-based library projects in developing areas of the world. This group mobilizes the power of ALA librarians to raise awareness of and make significant contributions to international library development. Librarians in developing countries can tap into resources for training and projects in their libraries.
- Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA)
- Australian Libraries Support the Sustainable Development Goals (January 2018)
- Sustainable Development Goals: Stretch Targets for Australian Libraries 2020-2030 (1 November 2021) – report from the annual SDG Roundtable for representatives from different sectors of the library field, which identified five areas of focus and 13 action points aligned with the Stretch Targets.
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
- Powering Sustainable Development
- The Library Map of the World – organizations can learn about or add their “SDG Stories” of how libraries have contributed towards an SDG.
- United Nations. Contribution of Libraries to the SDGs. https://sdgs.un.org/partnerships/contribution-libraries-sdgs
- Norwegian Library Association [Norsk Bibliotekforening]. The UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and library.[Use your browser’s translator to translate from Norwegian to your language.]
- Norwegian Children’s Book Institute [Norsk Barnebokinstitutt]. The sustainability library – “This is a Norwegian version of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals Book Club, and is adapted for children aged 6-12. It consists of children’s literary book lists with activities for all 17 sustainability goals, and offers participants a literary and conversation-based understanding of the world’s common work plan. The sustainability library has been developed in collaboration between many children’s literary actors. The secretariat is at the Norwegian Children’s Book Institute.”
Libraries and SDGs
- Elsevier. How will libraries deliver a sustainable future? (recorded webinar)
- Libraries for Peace (L4P), an initiative by The Mortenson Center, provides a list of resources for celebrating Libraries for Peace Day each year.
- Willems, Linda. Achieving the UN SDGs – is there a role for libraries?, May 24, 2022 – We hear from three experts who believe that libraries are ideally placed to drive and support contributions to the goals. https://www.elsevier.com/connect/library-connect/achieving-the-un-sdgs-is-there-a-role-for-libraries
- Willems, Linda. 7 ways that libraries can support and promote the UN SDGs at their institutions, August 1, 2022 -Experts share their top tips for libraries who want to get involved but don’t know how
Libraries Advancing SDGs – Best Practices
Publishers, Researchers and Data Providers
Research Articles on Libraries and SDGs
- Mathiasson, M.H. and Jochumsen, H. (2022), “Libraries, sustainability and sustainable development: a review of the research literature”, Journal of Documentation, Vol. 78 No. 6, pp. 1278-1304. https://doi.org/10.1108/JD-11-2021-0226
- (PDF) ROLES OF LIBRARY IN SUPPORTING SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS (researchgate.net)
- ONWUBIKO, EMMANUEL CHIDIADI, “Role of librarians and libraries in the realization of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: An empirical study” (2021). Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal). 6497.
- UN Sustainable Development Goals Study 2021 (oclc.org)